What is a shoulder fellowship program?
This is a training program where an orthopedic surgeon gets trained under DR AYYAPPAN V NAIR in the specialty of shoulder surgery and sports trauma.
How long is the training?
There are three programs
- Short observer ship programs – 1-2 weeks
- 6 months fellowship program
- 1 yr fellowship program
How is the training structured?
The fellow rotates in two hospitals of Manipal – whitefield and Jayanagar.
The program is based on the following aspects
- Clinical exposure- here the fellow would attend daily clinics with DR NAIR and would be assisting in clinical examination, radiology and outpatient procedures.
- Preoperative discussions- before every surgery there would be a thorough discussion on the clinical findings, expected plan of surgery and radiology discussion
- Postoperative discussion- after every surgery there would be a discussion on the intraop findings, techniques followed and post op rehabilitation plan.
- Physio discussion- once a week a review will be done with the physiotherapy team on the progress and plan for each patient
- Clinical research- surgical audit is an ongoing process and multiple research programs are ongoing. Weekly update on the process happens regularly. The fellow is required to complete and publish at least two papers during his tenure.
- Academic discussions and journal review – will be done once a week.
- Cadaver programs- the fellow will be attending two cadaver programs during his tenure.
Stipend and payments will be discussed once a fellow will be selected.